Sunday, May 18, 2008

I have come to the conclusion

that people are supposed to change in high school.

It’s pretty obvious that everyone has changed since they’ve left junior high. I can’t think of one person that hasn’t. Everyone is pretty good at pointing out how others have changed, even though it can be hard to see changes happening within yourself. That scares me. Yes, I know I’ve changed. I can tell. What I have a problem with is figuring out the ways I have changed. I’m sure I’m not the only one with that problem. I think, as friends, it’s our job to point these things out to each other, before it’s too late.

It’s kind of hard to listen when someone tells you how you’ve changed. A lot of the times you feel hurt or upset, but eventually, you realize they’re not hurting you by sharing this with you. They’re helping you. They point out something that could be a positive or a negative change. This especially helps if it has a potential to big a negative change. They need to be pointed out to us so we can try to fix it, before it becomes part of who we are. The longer you wait without realizing you’re changing, the harder it will be to change back, if it’s even possible.

Better late than never… Maybe it’s time you point out to your friends how they’re changing, or maybe how they’ve already changed. It may be hard to explain. They may be upset with you at first, but in the long run, it’s worth a try.

We’ve worked much too hard making our relationships strong to let a few unnoticed changes tear us apart.

This year, I’ve realized how easy it is to change without even realizing it. I don’t know about you, but that scares me. It scares me a lot.

It’s better to point things out. You don’t have to be totally honest. The blunter you are, the harder it will be for them to take it. All they need is for someone to tell them, as nicely as possible, what you’re seeing. Afterwards, don’t just leave them to sort out their own problems. They need their friends then, more than ever. Just someone to talk to. Someone that will listen. You may not feel like you’re helping, but by being their friend, you’re doing more for them than anyone else ever could.

It will be hard for both of you, but it will be worth it.

It’s not too late.

1 comment:

The Dreamer said...

And woe is the heart that is filled with the hatred of being alone. For he knowest not what he do.